Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Game Plan


Peggy Ertmer (2010) stated that “two of the four variables in integrating technology are knowledge of the skills and confidence in applying these skills”.  I plan on choosing two indicators from the NETS (National Educational Technology Standards) to focus on in the classroom to build on my knowledge and confidence. 
One indicator I would like to strengthen with my class is indicator 4a: advocate, model, and teach safe, legal, and ethical use of digital information and technology, including respect for copyright, intellectual property, and the appropriate documentation of sources. Although I find there ways to integrate technology within my existing curriculum, I have a difficult time finding time to teach Internet safety. Prensky labeled the students in my class “digital natives” because they grew up in a technology driven environment. These students will need to learn how to stay safe in an online community, because they will be using this form of communication in their personal lives and when they enter the job force. To meet goal of effectively increasing my students awareness of Internet safety, I have started collecting reading material that has been published on Internet bullying. Students need to learn the characteristics of a cyber bully so they can protect themselves from them or prevent themselves from becoming one. My students have an ePals classroom in Turkey that they correspond with through email. I plan on designing some Internet safety mini-lessons lessons so students are aware of what is safe to address in an email and what is not.  I will monitor student progress and my own based on how they communicate independently on student blogs and ePals communication. Since I have the ability to approve or disapprove content before it is published or sent, I can closely monitor who understand this NET indicator and who needs some extra assistance. I will evaluate my own learning by keeping records of the mini-lessons that worked and those that did not. I will hold on the articles or scan into the computer as a digital archive. I will reflect upon the tools and strategies that encouraged safe practices for my students, so that I could use them in future years.
Another indicator that I would like to address is 1b: engage students in exploring real-world issues and solving authentic problems using digital tools and resources. I believe that students learn best when an authentic problem or real world application is present. My goal is to become more aware of the authentic activities and assessments I provide my students. One of my science units is about the various soils located in North Carolina. This unit tends to be boring both for my students and for myself teaching the lessons and leading the experiments. Cennamo, Ertmer, and Ross (2009) state that after identifying my goal I need to determine the Action steps I will take to meeting my goal. My first action will be to research or develop a project based learning activity allowing students to identify a sample of soil. I will integrate either a spreadsheet for students to record their information and the characteristics of their sample soil. I will allow encourage my students to take photographs of their soil and post their spreadsheet on a classroom blog for other students to assist in the analyzing process. This will encourage higher level thinking as students compare and contrast the elements of each soil with the soil sample to determine the classification. I would invite a soil expert from one of the surrounding universities to observe the students data and comment on their work. This will provide students with expert advice and create another “real-world” connection. Vicki Davis (Laureate, 2010) states that “whatever the subject taught, others will want to collaborate”. I will reach out to my online community to see if another classroom would want to post a similar project so my students can analyze the differences between the soils in different environments.  Throughout the process I will monitor student engagement and understanding through observation, class notes, and by providing a rubric before the project so students are aware of the expectations. I will evaluate my own learning by documenting the activities that encouraged higher level thinking, or which activities were too abstract for my third grade students. If some of the activities were too difficult, I would know to simplify the project or differentiate the project the following year.
By focusing on two indicators in a year, I am increasing my knowledge and confidence integrating technology without becoming overwhelmed. When I feel as though I have mastered these indicators, I will replace the indicator with another. Since technology is always growing and changing, teachers need to continue to develop as well.
Resources:
Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning. 
International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). National education standards for teachers (NETS-T). Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/Libraries/PDFs/NETS_for_Teachers_2008_EN.sflb.ashx
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Enriching Content Area Learning Experiences With Technology, Part 1. [DVD]. Baltimore, MD: Author.
Prensky, M. (2008). Turning on the lights. Educational Leadership, 65(6), 40–45.

9 comments:

Cathy said...

Keri,
First of all, I really like your 'Steamroller' quote! I thought you might be interested in a resource for Internet Safety mini lessons. Brainpop.com has great videos on the topics of Cyberbullying and Internet Safety. The videos are under 5 minutes, and kids love them. There is a subscription, but many of the resources and videos are free to educators.
You have some really good ideas on how to achieve your GAME plan. Good luck!
Cathryn

Anonymous said...

Keri,

Phosphate is a local resource in Tampa, Florida. At a summer workshop I attended at the Florida Institute for Phosphate Research, the first day they sent us home with soil sample kits. We collected soil from our backyard then tested it for phosphate, nitrates, and other nutrients. We created a map that illustrated the soil composition for each location. This activity created personal interest and raised our interest in the topic in general. I believe the kits were fairly inexpensive.

Digital probes could be used to analyse samples and the mapping could have been created using excel or graphing, etc. to enhance the technological applications.

Just an few ideas...

Susan Craig said...

Keri,

I like your ideas for educating your students about cyberbullying. I appreciate that you mentioned preventing students from becoming cyberbullies in addition to learning how to protect themselves from cyberbullies. Most kids tend to see themselves as the victims rather than having potential for becoming bullies themselves.

Our junior high students created posters as part of their cyberbullying lessons this year and hung them around the school. Your students might enjoy doing something similar.

Thanks for sharing your ideas!
Susan

Keri said...

Tammy,

Thank you for the suggestions. My school has PTA grants I could apply for to purchase kits such as the Florida Institute for Phosphate Research kit. I am sure that this experiment will create enthusiasm for my soil unit. Although testing the composition of the soil may be a bit beyond my curriculum, perhaps they can conduct simpler tests.

I love your integration of math and science ideas. Anytime students can be exposed to real world uses of math is beneficial.

Thank you Tammy for your ideas.

Keri said...

Susan,

Thank you for your suggestion of having students design posters to hang around the school. This would be a fantastic way of increasing awareness around a school that is heavy in technology.

Tania Rodriguez said...

Keri,

I also believe it is important for students to know and be aware of the precautions they need to take when using and interacting on the Internet. An idea for an authentic activity popped in my head as I was reading your post. Maybe, after doing some research and other guided activities your students guide your students in creating various skits or scenarios about cyberbullying. Each student could play a "role." There could also be following up questions with the students still "in character or not. What do you think?

Cathy said...

Hello Keri,
I came back to your blog to see if you had responded to my post, but I guess when I posted it was unsuccessful. I want to compliment you on the quote that you chose, If you're not part of the steamroller you'll be part of the road...So true!
I just want to say that I absolutely agree with you that it is so important to use authentic real life issues with students. It is also important to give them as much oral practice as possible with their academic vocabulary. It sounds as if you do both.
Good luck with your GAME plan!
Cathy

Keri said...

Tania,

My undergraduate degree was in integrating creative arts, so I really enjoyed your idea of allowing students to create skits. I find that by allowing students to put themselves in a situation, real or not, the students remember appropriate choices when it becomes necessary. I could have my students act the scenarios out on the school news show so others can learn from their skits. Thank you for the suggestion.
Keri

Keri said...

Cathy,

I found this quote and it stuck with me. In order to become an effective teacher, one needs to stay current in methods and tools. In today's education system, technology is the skill that students will need in the workforce. I think that authentic projects and assessments are another way that teachers are current with the methodology that is most effective in the digital age. Thank you for your supportive words!

Keri