Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Monitoring your Game Plan

My second indicator of exploring real-world issues using digital tools and resources has come along further than my first indicator of modeling safe, legal, and ethical uses of technology. My first indicator is easier to integrate within my existing curriculum. Dr. John Ross stated that you need to “choose supporting technology” (Laureate, 2010) to fit your objectives, not choose supporting objectives to fit your technology. I have found more ways to integrate effective tools to explore a real world topic, than I have been to practice and model safe uses of technology.
I have been modeling and discussing with my students the safe and ethical use of technology through their blogs, Edmodo site, and ePals correspondence. When responding to not only peers but penpals over the Internet, we have discussed the information that is safe to share and those that are not. We have also discussed why sharing specific information can be dangerous. I feel as though my students have improved in their methods of publishing online because they think about the information they share and even ask their peers or myself if it is appropriate. I have not yet had my students brainstorm safety tips, explore the http://www.wiredkids.org/wiredkids_org.html safety site, or create a skit. I may need to modify my action plan since my students only have two and a half weeks of school. I may eliminate the skit, but still have them use the Internet to research safety tips, create a poster, and display around the building. By displaying the posters around the school, students of all ages can benefit from the information. I have learned that students have not been exposed to safety practices when using Internet sources even though students of all ages use technology at home on a daily basis. Many of my students had never been exposed to safety tips and were not aware of the dangers that could occur in sharing personal information. My question that still remains, are there any other teachers in my building that think this skill is important to integrate in the classroom? If these students do not pass through my class, will they learn the safety tips? This is an easy skill to find resources on because there are plenty available. I plan on starting this indicator earlier in the year so that my students could perform skits and perform them on our morning radio. 
My second indicator has come along nicely. I have used pictures of x-rays I found on the Internet to display the location of bones in the human body. I have also used a simulation of a bone so that students could explore the layers of the bone and what they consist of. I have contacted a nurse that will be Skyping with my students to discuss questions they still have about bones.I sent home the virtual owl pellet site every student in my class. My students loved dissecting the actual bones and the experiment motivated them to want to learn more. My student that were absent the day of dissection were able to explore owl pellets online http://www.kidwings.com/owlpellets/flash/v4/index.htm. I wonder how many of my parents encouraged my students to continue this exploration at home, or sat down with their child to explore with them? I have learned through past experiences, that even though my students create projects online and I send the final product to the parents, about a quarter of my parents actually glance at the product. Technology makes it easier to communicate with parents by sharing online data, activities, online portfolios, and final projects. If parents are not taking an interest in the information and tools available, what motivation is that for the students to continue trying their best? To modify my plan to encourage more active parent involvement, I may have parents sign a checklist upon viewing online projects just like I do with their paper assessments. I am still looking for a problem based learning project or webquest appropriate for third grade that would continue to motivate their interest in the classroom. 
Resources:
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010). Program: Assessing Students’ Needs With Technology [Webcast]. Integrating Technology Across the Content Areas. Baltimore: Author.

6 comments:

Cathy said...

Keri,
I like your checklist idea for parents. Maybe you could get them to do a bit more than glance by asking for feedback. If a student comes to school with feedback 3 times or so, give the kids a cool bookmark with an interactive web address on it...just an idea.
The poster that your class made, I am curious if you used glogster?
It sounds like your GAME is going well.
Have a happy day,
Cathy

Keri said...

Cathy,

I like your idea of requesting comments from parents. In my traditional assessment folder that goes home, parents sign when they have seen the assessments and are able to post a comment or ask a question. I would love to include an online assessment portion of that same sheet. This way parents know they need to check over the paper assessments as well as the online work. There would be a room for comments on this sheet in case they have any feedback or concerns.
I am not planning on using Glogster for my posters since I want to post them around the school. I have used Glogster in the past for students to publish their research. My kids loved how creative they could be in displaying their work.

Keri

Cathy said...

Keri,
I haven't yet had the opportunity to have my students use Glogster. I did get to play with it a bit during a training. I liked it. I also like to be able to post a
'touchable' showcase at school. It will be a sad day if hands on creations are gone. We need a balance of both.
Have a happy day,
Cathryn

sandra.hall187 said...

Hi Keri,

I agree with Cathy, I think she has a good idea. Asking for feedback and a signature and then giving a bookmark. I think many of your colleagues will appreciated the fact that you are teaching the students safety tips. I think they know that it is important but their focus is mainly on reading, math , science and social students and passing the states mandates test. At least that is the problem in my building.

Good Luck on your GAME Plan.

Sandra

Bryan said...

Keri,

I think you are doing an excellent job using technology to enhance your students learning. I like how you have involved professionals in the classroom through skyping. I think it is crucial for both science and math teachers to involve professionals in the classroom to help students see that there is a reason to learn their content. It creates interest for students when they see that people in the real world use the knowledge they are supposed to be learning.

Thanks,
Bryan

Samantha said...

In your post, you wrote, "My question that still remains, are there any other teachers in my building that think this skill is important to integrate in the classroom? If these students do not pass through my class, will they learn the safety tips?" I think you addressed both these questions by having the students create and put up posters that address safety issues. First, by seeing you address internet safety issues with your students, other teachers may follow your lead. Teachers that feel it is important but did not know where to begin now have a resource to refer to for help; you! Furthermore, students that do not attend your class will be exposed to the safety tips because of the posters and they will be more inclined to pay attention to warnings by their peers as opposed to adults. Also, as students participate and complete such activities and projects, they actually discuss their work in social situations like at lunch. They may be inclined to start a discussion about the dangers of using the web and feel excited to be the "expert" on the issue.